Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 5, 2012

What a month!

It is over. The 30-day retreat that began on January 5th has come to a close. The retreatants will soon begin speaking again. We'll first have Mass at 11:15 and then they will speak after Mass. I can tell some of them are fretting it because they want to hold onto the meaningful conversations they had each day.

They cannot believe how quickly the time passed. At first it sounded like a long time; now, they would rather have a 40-day retreat instead. It is heartening to hear words like that.

I enjoy the silence. On my days of repose, I went to a Cistercian monastery of Trappists of the Strict Observance and yesterday, I went to Crane's Beach in Ipswich for some silence. The atmosphere around the retreat house was filled with some activity and the silence, though present, was lessening. Upon my walk, I ran into three women who suggested that I not go into the forest because nothing was there - not every a bird's chirp. I knew exactly where I needed to go. I sat down, listened to the swirling wind, and enjoyed the warmth of the day.

Unfortunately, I saw no snowy owls. I think it is too warm for them.

I'll take a week's break, then I'll be back on another retreat. We are getting reading for the summer 30-day retreat and we are adding a new 30-day retreat for September. Spread the word - silently.

And, of course, I'm rooting for the New England Patriots today as they enter their 5th Superbowl in 10 years!


No comments:

Post a Comment