Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, February 24, 2012

Relaxing Day

An eight-day retreat just ended and it is quiet in the retreat house. We can tell the retreatants enjoyed the retreat space a great deal. As it was not at full capacity, retreatants were able to find their own space without interruption.

Now with the retreat over, I have been able to do some tidying up work in the yard. I've made several piles of kindling wood for the fireplace and I've collected much of the fragments of wood that has fallen onto the lawn. The place is at the point of looking nice for the time when early spring comes. We've had great weather in February, so much so that the daffodils are popping up through the ground. I even saw crocuses this week. Winter is not over and it would be nice to have some snow cover, and we know that nature takes care of itself.

This week, two prominent Jesuits were buried. Fr. Stanley Marrow, S.J. and Fr. Edward O'Flaherty, S.J. were amazing men in their own ways. Fr. Marrow taught scripture, mostly Johannine studies, and Fr. O'Flaherty was a provincial who later worked twenty years for the Boston archdiocese. We will miss them both dearly.

Today, I went to visit a Jesuit friend who just moved back into province. It was good to hear how he is doing. He has an important new job in front of him. I wish him lots of luck in his endeavors.

This afternoon, I cleared out some old wood from the shed that will be converted into an outdoor chapel this spring. The wood was well preserved and it took great effort to move it from the shed to the side of the service road. I trekked through an area that I know is filled with poison ivy. I just hope that it is still cold enough to reduce the effect of the gluey posion that sticks to the branches. I moved about 50 beams of wood. Today, I collected them and cleared them out from the property. I'm quite tired from it all.

Since everyone has left the retreat house, I've set a bountiful fire in the fireplace and will enjoy sipping a cup of tea and catching up on some light reading. I will be enjoying the evening. I am savoring the many good comments from retreatants and emails from people who are searching for God in their lives - especially in their struggles and strife. It is good to know we are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment