Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day


Last week, I visited a friend after I made an eye-exam. She is a great maker of greeting cards. She has all the supplies that one could need. Craft stores would envy her supplies.

She invited me to make Valentine's Day cards. I originally thought to myself, "To whom would I send a card?" but it dawned on me that the Valentine's Day holiday, just like every other holiday, has morphed into something new. It is no longer a romantic holiday, but one that celebrates love - romantic, appreciative, filial, or otherwise. Love is to be shared freely. Our whole lives are about love so why would I withhold it?

I made several and my eye-doctors liked what I made so they took one. My friend later gave them a couple more cards to send out. My eye-doctors, General Optical, are the neatest, kindest people you can imagine.

Valentine's Day is freer than other holidays. When it is Christmas or Mother's or Father's Day, one is obliged to send a card  - even if the relationship is ambiguous. Not so with Valentine's Day. You send a card to someone for whom you choose to do so. You are authenticating a friendship based upon your free-will.

In the end, I decided to send the Valentine's Day cards to my sisters and sisters-in-law. I hope they like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment