Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 14, 2022

Getting back to Jogging

 Saturday in Boston was a rare February day. Temperatures reached 57 degrees at its warmest, and I went out for a run early in the day when it was still cool with strong winds. I only ran for 3.8 miles because I had to be somewhere else by midday. However, I learned a few lessons.

This was my first day running outdoors. The fresh air was invigorating, and I realized I must continue to wear a sun hat because of my fair skin. I probably need to get warmer moisture control running pants instead of wearing shorts. I also learned that it is so much easier to keep in motion than to slow down for a walk. It takes more energy to restart from a walking mode.

Running outdoors is much easier than running indoors, where I might be more worried about laps or distance. Being outdoors, next to the ocean, makes you just focus upon running and you do not pay attention to statistics on one's phone. My knee is feeling better, and it helps that I lost ten pounds. I need to continue that positive trajectory.

I became worried about 26.2 miles and my rate of progress. Waves of concern washed over me, and then I realized that I am doing this for the homeless and not for a personal goal. I have so many generous donors and I do not want to let them down. I sometimes feel the pressure of expectation, and I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a fun exercise.

Among so many people of goodwill, my high school physical education teacher wrote a great not on the webpage. That lifted my spirits. I was surprised at how pleased I was to have some adult from my childhood speak such encouraging words. High School classmates have been encouraging as well as so many good friends over the years. I just have to keep being the tortoise in the "tortoise and the hare" story. I needn't worry because worry doesn't add anything positive for the outcome.

It was also encouraging to read a good story about the Mass and Cass homeless in the Boston Globe. There were 54 people who are in temporary housing, which is a first step in addressing other needs. The timing of this story was spot on as an encouraging sign.

I received my official entry form for the Boston Athletic Association. I'm all in. 

My friend who was struck by the bus is going through another surgery tomorrow. My other friend begins chemotherapy tomorrow. All we have is today, and it is quite good.We might as well make the best of each moment. 

My fundraising goal is to reach $20,000.

Here is the online donation form.

https://www.givengain.com/ap/john-predmore-raising-funds-for-boston-health-care-for-the-homeless-program/      

or you can send checks to: 

Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program  

780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118

In the memo field, write "for John Predmore"

No comments:

Post a Comment