Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Raising One's Head

Today's training just seems like a miracle because I had no energy to do anything strenuous. I had to go agere contra (to go against), one's inclinations in order to achieve the greater good. 

I had no nap yesterday and I presumed I would fall asleep quite early because of my energy expenditure, but I ended up falling asleep around 4 a.m. I knew I had an 11:00 a.m. mass in Cambridge, so I would sleep in until 8:00 or 8:30. I woke up exhausted.

Now, yesterday I had a burst of energy so for our community I made some vanilla pudding, banana bread, and salted caramel brownies. The day before I made two batches of pizzelles figuring I would stop by my family's this weekend. That's a lot of sugar for a weekend. I did eat two pizzelles, one on Saturday to see if they tasted okay and one of Sunday because they are tasty. One thing I like about pizzelles is that they are not saturated with sugar. I made then on Saturday because it was the anniversary of my mother's funeral and February is the month my grandmother, Maria, was born. It seemed right to keep a family tradition alive. However, I digress.

After mass, I went to work and spent time in the studio. It was a beautifully sunny day with temperatures in the low 40's and hardly anyone passed through the studios. As I sat in the studio, I could feel myself nodding off so I decided to leave so I could do my training. For the next twenty minutes we had a surge of people passing through the studio and that delayed my departure. When I left, I realized I was one of the few artists left in the building.

So, I went home and resolved to at least do some walking since I was too tired to do anything else. As I began, my mind kept telling me, "Make it to fifteen minutes, and then you can walk a bit." I turned on my podcasts and listened to a talk show about French sauces and ways to arrange the spice racks in a pantry. Though it was interesting, it proved to be a respite from the heaviness of the rest of the news.

Then I realized I was at 22 minutes and I decided to be in it for the long haul. I was last until half and hour and then I would walk a few laps before I resumed jogging again. The next five minutes seemed hard, but the news program change to travel talk and I was immersed in South Pacific Island travel, and then I was at 28 minutes. The show was continuing. It looked like I could reach 30 minutes, and then I would wimp out and walk a few laps.

I was then at 31 minutes, and I realized that is when the news channel comes on and it takes about 5 minutes before a commercial break. And then I was at 38 minutes, and there was no reason to stop running at this point. I might was well just continue on. The running seems to get easier after the 32 minute mark. I was so proud of myself. I did not think I could make an hour today because of my tiredness, but now I have bundles of energy.

Perhaps the best learning moment of the day was that I have to "raise my head." I've seen this over the past few weeks, but it made such a big difference today. If I run with my head down, I feel slow and lethargic, but if I raise my head, my posture is better and my attitude is better. My whole perspective is better and lighter if I raise my head and look around and energy seems to generate itself.

This is especially important in light of the news about Ukraine. I feel sad for the people and I worry about the Russian leader's response since he carries nuclear weapons. The world and the U.S. in incredibly fragile and I want to help people unify and see the blessings on the common good. We cannot focus upon our individuality without looking at our responsibility to one another and the common good. We have to keep our heads raised high and look for the best in one another. We have to look at opportunities rather than the problems and obstacles. We have to keep looking at one another as a sibling in our common humanity under God. 

This week I've heard from four people who are adamantly opposed to my fund raising efforts because they think that I have bitten off more than I can chew. They may hear "Boston Marathon" and think that I am competing as if I'm an elite runner. I hear their voices and yet I cannot give much energy to their disputes because I've already won. I raised over $21,000 for the homeless and that money is guaranteed even if I cannot run. I can walk half a mile and give up, or run 15 miles and walk eleven, or take the subway back to Boston after mile 3, or persevere the whole 26.2 miles. I'm not racing; I'm participating the best way that I can in order to provide relief for our less fortunate siblings in humanity. The race has already been run, so there are low expectations.

However, I'm participating in the marathon and I'm excited about it. I will do my best of behalf of my benefactors and the homeless, and now I get to carry the misfortune of the people of Ukraine with me as I go forward. Each step of the way is like a puff of incense rising to heaven, and this effort is part of my Lenten contribution. The marathon will be run on Easter Monday. I look forward to having a Cadbury egg early that morning to give me a sugar rush and to jolt me along the pathway. In our tradition, this is the day to bury our "Alleluia so we can pick it up again on Easter Sunday." The time for rejoicing will be ours, but for now, it is time to buckle down and to focus upon the journey. Our lives are but a journey, and we have to carry one another along the way, and it is more fun and more enjoyable as we do this together. As you support me, I hope to support the homeless and the people of Ukraine. Let's keep our eyes lifted so we can see God's glory in unexpected steps along the way. I'm grateful for your support. 


A number of people asked me the best way to donate, and I give them these options in rank from best to least desirable.

1.  The Best Way to Donate.

Click on this link to the online donation form. You will see two big red buttons with the word "Donate" on them. Click on the link and follow the easy instructions. This will add your total to my fundraising page and it will generate a tax donation form for you.

https://www.givengain.com/ap/john-predmore-raising-funds-for-boston-health-care-for-the-homeless-program/      


2. The next best way to donate.

Send a check made out to: Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program

to this address: 

Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
780 Albany Street, 
Boston, MA 02118

In the memo field, write "for John Predmore"

No comments:

Post a Comment